Tuesday, April 15, 2014

an overdue thank you note

Dear Mr. Nelson,

it's funny how much influence one person can have on you.
the masked man known as "Harold Miner" has impacted my life more than I think he'll ever know.

yes, I'm talking about you Kyle.
(by the way i don't think i ever asked, but is it cool if i call you that?)

but really.
your class gave me the opportunity to show my true colors.
the opportunity to come out of hiding, if you would.
a heartbroken and nervous 'has been' of a guy put his pen to the paper and fell in love with words and writing.

i finally had a way to express all of my pent up feelings.
Lloyd Dobler became my everything.
i clung to every one of my blog's comments like my life depended on them.

the approval of others is all i've ever wanted, and i'd finally gotten it.

but the best was from you, Nelson.
the master mind of this organization.
just simple phrases like "powerful" or "#stolen" meant the world to me.

i miss it man, i really do.
i feel like these posts are useless if you never see them.
is it weird that i'm upset that you never use my stuff as an example for your class?
i mean i did get top fived like three times so i thought i was doing what you wanted...

maybe one day i'll be up there with the greats.
dick tidrow.
esther greenword.
charlotte charles.
maybe...

i just want you to tell me that i made it.
tell me that i can come back and visit paris whenever i'd like.
tell me that i wasn't a tourist.

i sound pitiful don't i?
poor picked upon lloyd.

i think i'm just scared. scared and upset.

scared of moving on with life.
college.
bills.
marriage.
its all so stressful.

and im upset with myself.
high school is almost over and i wish i would've done more.
wish i would've had more fun.
wish i would've dated more girls.
wish i would've choked down my fear instead of letting it suffocate me for the last 3 years.

i'm rambling now.
but really all i want to say is thank you.
thanks for the class.
for taking the time to read what i wrote.
the comments.
the youtube clips.
the outbursts in class about how everyone hated your class and how you were a horrible teacher (honestly...i think you knew we all loved it. you just wanted the reassurance of it though right?)

i think you and me are kind of alike...just wanting to fit in.
acting as if nothing matters on the outside.
but on the inside we're just peaking through our fingers in fear of all the people and their opinions.

but i digress.
just know you helped me get through some tough stuff man.
you made me excited to get up and go to school.
you have SO MUCH influence on us, your students, and i dunno if you know that.
but we all look up to you man.
or at least i did.

so again, thanks for everything.
i'll see you in paris.

Sincerely,
Lloyd Dobler


3 comments:

  1. Powerful. #stolen

    (but really)

    I think you're right, we are a lot alike. Why do we need the approval of others? Why can't it just be about us? About what we write? Screw everyone else. But I know exactly what you're saying.

    You were always one of the good ones. Never a tourist. A true local. A native. It was those who weren't like you who got me so pissed off. Made me feel like I was ignored. It's good to get feedback like this, that my impact is bigger than I think. Thank you for that.

    Keep writing. Whether I see it or not. I'm speaking to myself as much as I'm speaking to you. Write for yourself. Even if you don't get published or don't get comments or don't win an Oscar. Do it for the right reasons and rest will come naturally. And if it doesn't,

    oh well.

    And I'm sure I'll be using your posts for a future example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #retweet

    Sorry to intrude but I really liked what you both said. I miss Paris. I miss Nelsons lessons that completely changed your view on the world. I miss how excited id get when I saw a new comment on my blog. I miss the mystery behind the pen names. Thank you both.

    P.S I watched say anything for the first time on my plane ride home from china. Is it weird that I thought about you while I watched it? Yeah it probably is but I don't really care. I'm not going to lie I was most surprised to find out this was your blog. Keep writing and high school isn't over yet let me know if you want to chill sometime you have my number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #tears

    You managed to sum up everything that has been flowing through my mind since we left Paris and my gosh did I need this. I'm so glad you're writing again Lloyd. There are few of us that remain, and it's good to have you among us. I'm not going to lie, your blog is probably my favorite one from our class. It's just been a pleasure to get to know who you really are and to see you come to terms with the man you always knew you were.

    And Nelson, you make such a strong impression on us that I don't think you will every fully understand. And that's ok. Just keep making kids passionate about life, writing, Paris.

    You're both saving lives with words and I'm so grateful that the world has you two to keep us alive.

    ReplyDelete